Filter Paper Test (for Petrol)
- Clean the mouth of the dispensing nozzle to remove stains.
- Put a drop of petrol on the filter paper from the nozzle.
- It should evaporate in about 2 minutes without leaving a stain on the filter paper. (If the area of the filter paper where the drop of MS was put remains pinkish, it is the colour of the MS and not any stain). If a stain is left on the filter paper, there is a possibility of adulteration.
Customer can immediately lodge a complaint if Filter paper is not available at Retail outlet for testing of Petrol. It is the duty of the Dealer to provide the filter paper on demand by the customer.
Density Check (for Petrol and Diesel, including branded fuels)
A 500 ml jar, calibrated hydrometer & thermometer and ASTM (American Society for Testing of Materials) conversion charts are required to carry out density test. A hydrometer is a very simple instrument for measuring density of any liquid, which would be different for petrol and diesel.
- Fill about 3/4th of the jar with the product taken through the nozzle of the Dispensing unit.
- Dip the thermometer and the hydrometer in the jar and record the temperature and density.
- The actual density observed is then converted into density at 15 degree centigrade with the help of the conversion chart. This converted density is then compared with reference density taken from the register maintained at the Retail Outlet.
Checks for lubricants:
Please check the seal of container, date of manufacture and name of manufacturer. For the convenience of 2/3 wheeler drivers, Retail Outlets generally provide self-mixing (petrol-oil mix) dispensers, 2T dispensers and they also keep tamper proof 2T/4T pouches.
To ensure that you get the right quantity of product, all the Retail Outlets are mandatorily required keeping a calibrated 5 litre measure duly stamped by Weights and Measures Department. You may ask for the measure to check quantity whenever you have doubt about the quantity delivered.
Malpractices / Unauthorised Activities:
In case you encounter any of the following possible malpractices, please contact the Company’s officer mentioned in the display at the Retail Outlet.
Possibility of adulteration cannot be ruled out, by mixing of cheaper homogenous products in petrol or diesel. In case of doubt, you may carry out the filter paper / density check as explained above.
Although all dispensing units (Machines delivering petrol/diesel) are duly calibrated and sealed by Weights & Measure Department and also periodically checked by the Company, the possibility of tampering with machines or their malfunctioning cannot be ruled out. As mentioned earlier, you have the right to check the quantity delivered with a duly calibrated and stamped 5-litre measure available at retail outlets.
The dealer is not allowed to overcharge for the products sold. Please ensure that you take a cash memo for every purchase. Also please check that price charged by the dealer is in line with the displayed price.